Storytelling with Servos
May 2, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT- $45.00
What You'll Do:
Join Jorvon Moss, Jasmine Florentine and Ryan Jenkins for a playful workshop to explore storytelling with servo motors. We love building friendly, ticklish, and whimsical robots, while experimenting with the connections between art, science and technology.
In this two-hour workshop, you’ll get an introduction to using the BBC micro:bit, servo motors and block-based coding language. Each of the session leaders will showcase examples of how they tell stories with robots. Then we’ll start playing with MakeCode and create a simple program that can be used as the basis for further explorations.
In the workshop, you’ll get the chance to build your own designs with support from facilitators, ask questions and share ideas with the group. We’ll also have a behind-the-scenes tour of the Jorvon’s workshop and get to see some inspirational examples of wearable companion bots that make use of unusual and familiar materials.
Who It’s For:
- Beginners (no experience working with these technologies is required)
- Families (children 8+ up recommended)
- Live demos of Jorvon, Jasmine, and Ryan’s robots
- Introduction to the micro:bit & using servos
- Breakout rooms: Building time, with guidance from facilitators
- Virtual Tour of Jorvon’s Workspace/Robots
- Sharing Our Own Projects
What You'll Need:
- micro:bit (v1 or v2): QTY 1
- Alligator clip to pin wires: QTY 3
- Positional servo motor: QTY: 1
- AAA x3 battery pack: QTY 1
- Colorful Paper
- Flexible Materials
- Additional craft materials of your choosing
Have questions or comments – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org